We get asked about restaurants and bars available in the Hondon Valley areas. There are plenty to choose from in Nieves, Frailes, La Romana, Abanilla, Fortuna and the surrounding areas.
There are Hondon restaurants and bars to suit all pockets / budgets. They do change owners and menus on a regular basis so we advise you ask locals if you can or at least check out Tripadvisor (or similar) for more up-to-date information. As we all have different tastes and expectations we shy from full reviews, ask around or better still go and make your own mind up…. it’s supporting local trade after all.
©2016 This article is brought to you by Maureen of Hondon Villas (the premier and local Estate Agent).
Restaurants and Bars in Hondon de los Frailes
OK if we start if Hondon de los Frailes, there has been a lot of recent activity in the catering arena here over late 2016.
The most established is Restaurante Veintiocho 28 in the main Frailes plaza, opposite the Town Hall). At the time of writing, 28 is owned and run by Simone and Marcus and boasts plenty of outside sunny seating, a shady canopy (from the sun and the odd shower), a small inside bar and larger a-la-carte restaurant. They currently have a Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence.
The menu is varied British / international. Open most days for breakfasts, drinks, lunch and dinner with many specials, “Sunday Roast”, snacks and full 3 course dining “menu-del-noche” . It is well regarded as a clean and friendly catering establishment with food to match. It attracts all nationalities of the area (British, Dutch, Spanish, etc …). They have a 28 Facebook page. They also cater for special occasions and parties.
Other restaurants to note in Frailes:
- Infinity: The new kid on the block. Formerly a tea shop, this one is on the main road CV-845 through Frailes and currently run by local residents Jay and Natalie. You can dine inside in pleasant clean surroundings. At time of writing they are open selected evenings and Sunday lunches. Call 622956544 for full details and menus.
- La Buena Vida: This opened about 5 years ago as an Italian themed restaurants but is more international cuisine now with full a-la-carte dinner menu, “menu-del-noche”, early birds, “Sunday Roast” and chef’ specials. This is located just off the main plaza in Frailes and has an ornate decor and plenty of inside seating with a greetings lounge. The atmosphere is relaxed dining and smart casual dress code. They also cater for special occasions and parties. The same owners run “The Irish Bar”.
- El Nuevo Valle (aka The Irish Bar): This popular plaza bar and snack restaurant is in the main plaza opposite the church. They serve drinks, inside and out, with a fast-food snack menu all week and specials for steaks, pizza, Chinese and the Brit classic “Fish n Chips”. They also offer a large screens sports area which doubles as a meeting / party room and live music venue.
- Caramels: This Spanish run and recently refurbished bar is popular with all nationalities. It is mainly a bar with some outside area at the back for music / food if pre-booked. They are predominantly a drinking establishment with sports TV, bandit machines and a pool table. This is on the main through road in Frailes, near the garden centre CV-845.
- Pepins: Another well established Spanish owned bar and occisaional restaurant. they also do Tapas and snacks. This is often used by local social groups as a meeting place, bingo, quizes, etc. A friendly and welcome bar and popular with Spanish workers at breakfast and lunch. This is on the main through CV-845 road in Frailes, near the grocer’s shop / lottery shop.
- El Fogon del Friars: The largest venue, Spanish run and just out of the village as you head out towards Barbarroja / Macisvenda on the CV-845. This has a large car park, shaded terrace and large restaurant inside. There is a large courtyard to the back that is used for larger events / music. It is popular for breakfast and lunchtime “menu-del-dia” but evening menus and events are only occasional. The food is typical local Spanish / tapas.
- Punjabi Virsa: Their 2nd Indian menu restaurant (they have a popular restaurant in Catral). This was until about 3 months ago a popular steak bar. The locals have been wanting an Indian restaurant for a while and is at the quieter garden centre end of the village plaza.. It’s already proved popular with mixed reviews but early days. They offer about 100 typical Indian dishes in clean surroundings. The large dining area is inside with the kitchen and bar to the back. They also offer an early bird priced menu of three courses with poppadoms and drinks included.
- La Finca. Montanosa Urb‘: A magnificent façade, garden and terrazzo is in the middle of a new build development. Converted into a B&B, bars and restaurant this has the look of an old Spanish hall but with all the mod-cons. It has had a chequered history with many owners trying to make a go of it. As we write it is run by Spaniards and seems to found its niche in Spanish food and culture with live music and value menus. Being so large it can cater for large parties, events and fiestas. The opening times and days vary so please check before you go.
- D’Antonio’s: Another recent opening of the Italian Ristorante / Pizzeria…. is now open in Casas Galiana (near the Gasolinera, Frailes). The interior like the short menu is basic but the staff are friendly. The pizzas are (we are told) fired in a clay oven and served with good local wine. The steaks are too big!! Again early days for this one so things will no doubt change as they discover local tastes and habits. Again days and times vary over the week so call them first. TEL: 622 699 319